Trailblazer Child and Youth Program

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I meet the qualifications to apply for this internship?

Let’s see! The answer is “Yes”, if you meet all of the following requirements:

  • You are 18 years of age or older;
  • You’ve completed of a minimum of 24 credit hours (or two full semesters) of college courses;
  • You have a cumulative college GPA of 2.5 or higher; and
  • You are a U.S. Citizen.
  • You will have and maintain ability to lift and carry up to 40 lbs., walk, bend, climb, stoop, and stand on a routine basis, both inside and outside, while being exposed to varied weather conditions.
  • Prior experience working with children in a professional setting is preferred, but not required.

What will the internship entail?

You will earn your stipend and internship credits by doing the following:

  • You’ll have a full-time position as supplemental staffing in U.S. Navy Child Development Centers, School Age Care Centers, or Teen Programs and Youth Sports Program, which means you’ll use your unique talents and skills to provide safe and educational spaces and events for youth living on base.
  • Your internship supervisor will meet weekly with you to set goals, assess your progress, and provide an academic structure for your desired outcomes. All meetings will be held virtually.

Where will I serve my internship?

You will have the opportunity to tell us your top location preferences. Then we will cross-reference your preferences with the locations that have requested interns during the times that you are available. We plan to do everything we can to place you in one of your preferred locations, but we can make no guarantees. Our first priority is to place interns where they are needed most to serve Navy families.

How much will my living stipend be?

During your application process, TCYP staff will evaluate your education and past experience working with children and youth. Your education and level of experience will determine your stipend amount. Stipend amounts range from $7200-$7800 in total for a 12-week internship.

What costs will be my responsibility?

TCYP will pay your airfare, housing, and living stipend! You’ll be responsible for a few of your expenses including the following:

  • Fingerprinting (approximately $20)
  • TCYP application fee (Free for current Utah Tech Students and only $10.00 for new students)
  • Internship deposit (amount dependent on placement – nonrefundable)
    • This is applied directly toward your tuition costs after you receive your internship placement.
  • Tuition for Utah Tech internship credits (currently $255 per credit)
    • If you have federal financial aid (Pell Grant / federal student loans), you may be able to use it to cover tuition.
  • Your meals and any costs related to sightseeing
  • Uniform/t-shirt (if required at your location)
  • American Red Cross certifications – Adult/Pediatric CPR/AED/First Aid
  • Health Insurance
  • Liability insurance
  • Physical / Immunizations / TB Test

If you’re placed overseas, you will also be responsible for the following:

  • University international insurance
  • CISI travel insurance
  • Passport and Visa fees

What should my résumé include?

As your prospective employer, we suggest you include the following information to help us get to know you:

  • Highlight the work experience (paid or unpaid) you’ve had working with children and teens in a professional setting (e.g. counselor positions at summer camps, co-curricular positions while you were in high school, professional daycare or recreation center, etc.).
  • Highlight vital personality traits, hard or soft skills, and values that will help you succeed as a TCYP intern.
  • Include your hobbies and interests.

It’s always a good idea to seek help when revising your résumé. The best place to seek resume advice is your university’s career services center.

I am not a Utah Tech student. Will my credits transfer to my university?

Absolutely. You will be enrolled in one or more upper division courses (3000-level or above) at Utah Tech. After your grade is posted at the end of the term, you can order a Utah Tech transcript and send it to your university. Speak with your university advisor for information about how your credits will be applied.

I am a Utah Tech student. What type of credit will I earn?

You will be enrolled in one or more upper division courses (3000-level or above) at Utah Tech. Generally, these credits will be applied to your degree as upper division elective credit. But we suggest that you ask your major advisor to see if you can apply your internship credits to your major requirements.



Trailblazer CYP